Goodpasture Covered Bridge over the McKenzie River in Lane County, Oregon, 1960
The Goodpasture Covered Bridge, (World Guide no. 37-20-10), spans the McKenzie river 1 mile west of Vida, Oregon, in Lane County (T16S-R2E-S29). Designed by the Oregon State Highway Commission and built by Lane county between 1937-1939, this structure was named for early settlers, the Goodpasture family. The unusual window arrangement was intended by the engineers to furnish maximum lighting between panel points. The openings are cut off on an angle to accomodate truss diagonals. This regular fenestration gives the bridge the impression of being occupied rather than serving as a vehicular tunnel. The longest covered bridge in service today in Oregon, it is also one of the most photogenic. In the 1980's, the bridge underwent a $750,000 rebuild. When it was finished in 1987, the bridge could handle loaded log trucks, had a new riverside retaining wall, and a turning lane.