First buildings in Salem, Oregon, from the Scotch Mills on North Mill Creek, 1880's
This photo was taken looking eastward from the top of the Scotch Mills buildings where North Mill Creek empties into the Willamette River north of downtown Salem, Oregon. The dark building in practically the exact center of the picture is what has been called Karr's Tavern or Boon's Treasury (tavern) and is the oldest brick building still standing in Salem. It was built in 1853 by John D. Boon, a Methodist minister who came to Oregon from Ohio in 1845. He was elected Treasurer in 1855 and worked in various capacities until his death in 1864. Hie lived in the small simple house to the right of the brick building, and that house was moved to the Mission Mill Museum complex in the 1980's, along with the Jason Lee House which is also in the picture. The second building to the right of his home was the home of Lincoln Wade, which was also moved - to John Street in South Salem. A historic marker behind Boon's Treasury identifies the area as as being where Jason Lee started the first mi
Salem, Oregon; Scotch Mills; first Salem site;
h 7.27 in x w 9.42 in
Salem Public Library
scanned as tmax431. Photo donated to the Salem Public Library without restrictions.