Oregon State Capitol & Willamette University buildings, Salem, Oregon
This postcard is of the Oregon State Capitol on the left, and Waller Hall and the Women's College building on the Willamette University Campus on the right. The capitol was built in 1876 and destroyed by fire in 1935. The original Waller Hall, then known as University Hall, was built in 1867 but fire destroyed the upper floors in 1891. It was later named to honor Rev. Alvan F. Waller, agent, missionary, trustee and friend of the university. The square tower and mansard roof on the building in this photograph replaced an octagonally shaped tower, but the lower roofline and octagonal tower were restored after another fire in 1919. The Women's College was begun through the efforts of President Thomas Van Scoy about 1880, who personally bought the home of Mrs. Chloe Clarke Willson to serve as the women's building. He had it remodeled extensively, adding another story, a two-level wing in back, and the mansard roof. The college was so succesful that the building was moved to the southwest corner of the campus, and another floor was added at the bottom and the huge tower seen in this photo was added on the side. The building was named "Lausanne Hall" to honor the sturdy wooden ship which brought the "Great Reinforcement" of earlier settlers. It subsequently served as a boarding house, music hall and girl's dormitory. It was razed in 1919.