Marion County Fruit Palace display at the Oregon State Fair in Salem, 1891
This photo of the Marion County Fruit Palace display was taken at the State Fair in Salem, Oregon, in 1891. The pagoda-style building appears to utilize different types of fruit for it's roof and architectural features. It is surrounded by a picket fence and has a sign proclaiming "progress" on it. The Oregon State Fair was begun October 1-4, 1861, on the north bank of the Clackamas River a half mile north of Oregon City. The flood of 1861 covered the city and convinced the State Agricultural Society to move it to Salem in 1862. There was a mile-long race track the first year in Salem. In 1871 the fairgrounds were expanded to 175 acres; they covered 181.5 acres in 1988.
Marion County Fruit Palace; Oregon State Fair; Salem, Oregon
B/W postcard photograph
3 1/4 in. x 4 7/8 in.
Barrick Funeral Home postcard series, "Salem in the Past"