Josiah L. Parrish Home, 404 Capitol Street, Salem, Oregon
This two-story house was on the east side of Capitol Street between Marion and Union Streets in Salem, Oregon in the 1890's. The 1889 city directory lists Reverend Parrish at 404 Capitol Street in that year. It stood in the middle of th SW lot & had what appears to be a white picket fence around it. Reverend Josiah L. Parrish was born in 1806 in Onondaga County, New York and came to Oregon in 1840 as a Methodist missionary He was a blacksmith by trade but also served on the committee responsible to form a constitution and draft a code of law in 1841, was a trustee of th e projected Oregon Institute (1842), an Indian agent (1849-1854), and drove the first spike on the Oregon and California Railroad in 1868 at Portland. The house appears to be basically rectangular with bay windows on the left side on both floors, a low pitched roof, double windows symetrically placed on both sides in the front on the upper floor with a balcony, and below them double doors or windows. There are three sets of double pillars across the front.