Adolph Building at 362-72 State Street, Salem,Oregon, 1992
The Adolph Building at 362-72 State Street (just off Liberty St. S) in Salem, Marion County, Oregon was in the heart of the original business district of Salem, Oregon. It was built in 1880 for Samuel Adolph who came to Salem in 1867 and entered into the brewery business with John Brown. When this building was completed in December 1880 two butchers were already in business in one third of the building and Adolph expected to have a saloon in a second third; the third section was for rent. Many businesses have shared the building over the years, among them a newspaper, the "State Democrat", which occupied the upper story at the right end as early as 1889. The original parapets and sheet-metal cornice with a central pedimented crest and ball finials were removed some time after 1900; the left end still has a restrained bracketed cornice and a frieze with a swag motif under the cornice, which, although not original, is at least more distinctive. That section also has the original tin ceiling and has been occupied by sporting goods stores since 1917. Cooke's Stationery has been in the right end since 1940. The three sections of the building are separated by slender cast-iron columns and a continuous bracketed cornice; each twenty-two foot bay has three windows on the second floor; all windows have round arches and very deep moldings with ornamental keystones. This building was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1980.
Salem, Oregon; Marion County; State Street; Adolph Building; Adolph, Samuel; National Register of Historic Places