The J.K. Gill Building at 356 State Street is in the heart of the original business district of Salem, Marion County, Oregon. It was built in 1868 and is of brick masonry and measures 24x80 feet. It is one of only three or four commercial buildings dating to before 1870 in the downtown area and its alterations have been limited mainly to the first floor. In the 1880's there was a wooden canopy covering the sidewalk and attached to the facade; there was also a wooden outside staircase on the left side of the building. J.K. Gill, the proprietor of the building project, founded what became one of the most successful bookstores in the Pacific Northwest, but moved to Portland in 1871. The First Presbyterian Church of Salem was organized in the upper floor of the building in 1869. The building was acquired in 1885 by Christopher Paulus who, with E. Klinger, ran a saloon there; the main floor has been used in that capacity practically ever since. The building was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1980.
Salem, Oregon; State Street; Marion County; J.K. Gill Building; Gill, J. K.; National Register of Historic Places
8 in. x 10 in.
Oregon State Dept. of Transportation
CREDITS & RESTRICTIONS
Information is taken primarily from the nomination papers for the National Register of Historic Places.