The 6,400-square-foot Farrar Building at 351-373 State Street was built in 1917 in Salem, Marion County, Oregon. It is the last one-story brick structure on its block and one of the few remaining in downtown Salem. Notable for its stepped gables, it is constructed of brick masonry and has housed a variety of businesses including, from circa 1953 into the 1980s, the Smoke Shop, a Salem "fixture" specializing in cigars and other tobacco related products. Arbuckle Costic Architects renovated the building in 1995, making it their professional headquarters. John Farrar* was a clerk at the E.C. Cross Meat Market and then operated the commissary for the Snag Boat "Mathloma." He later served as Salem's assistant postmaster. The building was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1982.
*As of August 2003, John Farrar's association with this building unclear. A John H. Farrar became Salem Postmaster in 1922 (until 1934?) and possibly earlier served as assistant postmaster under his uncle, Squire Farrar, a prominent businessman and civic leader. The family patriarch, also John Farrar (no known middle name), was born in England in 1810, came to Salem in 1870 and was listed as a "speculator" in his obituary.
Salem, Oregon; Marion County; State Street; Farrar Building; The Smoke Shop; Farrar, John; Arbuckle Costic Architects; National Register of Historic Places