Boise Building at 217 State Street in Salem, Oregon, 1992
The Boise Building at 217 State Street was built in 1913 in Salem, Marion County, Oregon. The two-story brick building was designed by architect Fred A. Legg for the son of one of Oregon's prominent pioneers, Judge Reuben P. Boise, who arrived in Oregon in 1850. His son, R. P. Boise, engaged in many pursuits, e.g. newspapers, real estate, insurance and investments. At the time, the riverfront area off Front Street was Salem's industrial and wholesale center; retail and businesses were centered on or near Commercial Street to the east. Concrete supports the brick walls and cast-iron columns and was used extensively for decoration, e.g. for window sills and caps, in a triangular design in the second floor front wall at both ends, and as decoration in the fluted brackets along the roof line. The four-inch floor is of cement; the exterior sixteen-inch walls are of brick. The building originally housed a farm machnery business, but has had various uses over the years including automotive businesses, a steel warehouse and an electrical contractor. The second floor provided covered public parking for decades. The building was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1981.
Salem, Oregon; Marion County; Boise Building; Boise, Judge Reuben P; Boise, R.P; National Register of Historic Places