Former West Salem City Hall in Salem, Oregon, 1992
Former West Salem City Hall at 1320 Edgewater Street NW in Salem, Polk County, Oregon. It was built in 1935 with $30,376 in WPA funds and housed civic offices for the City of West Salem until 1949, when the citizens of West Salem consented to their 36 year-old city being annexed by the City of Salem "forever and a day." Although the first settlers arrived in the mid-nineteenth century, West Salem citizens didn't form their own city government until 1913. The old West Salem City Hall was restored to its classic Art Deco design for use as private offices and was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1990.
Salem, Oregon; Polk County; Edgewater Street; West Salem City Hall; National Register of Historic Places