The Jones-Sherman House at 835 D St. NE in Salem, Marion County Oregon. Built in 1913, it was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1981. The builder was a contractor named Ralph R. Jones (1875-1925) who was originally from Ohio. The plan for the house was taken from "Bungalows" published by Lindstrom & Almars in 1913 and again in 1915. Mr. Jones built it as his own family home and the obvious departures from a typical bungalow plan were his. He also built several other houses in his neighborhood and at Neskowin, a seaside resort popular with Salem residents. The house is two-stories, has a concrete basement under the main body of the house, double hung windows, and triangular brackets under the eaves, The first floor has overlaping siding, and the second floor is shingled.The front porch is supported by brick and has a cement cap across the width of it. The location of the house was originally an orchard but it is now on the fringe of downtown and is subject to heavy traffic and threatened by expansion of the core area of the city. The seond owner of the house was Charles L. Sherman, a professor at Willamette University, who acquired it in 1926.
Salem, Oregon; Marion County; Jones-Sherman House; Sherman, Charles L.; Jones, Ralph R.; bungalow; D Street National Register of Historic Places