This photo is of the entrance to what is known as the Historic Deepwood Estate on Mission St. at 12th in Salem, Oregon. The home was designed by William C. Knighton in 1894 for British-born Dr. Luke A. Port who was a druggist and land speculator. Dr. Port and his wife sold it only a year and a half later to Mr & Mrs. George Bingham, who occupied the house from 1895 until their deaths in 1924, after which it passed to their daughter Alice (Mrs. Keith) Powell. She resold the home to Clifford Brown, a hop & wool broker who occupied the house from 1925 to 1945, when ownership returned to Keith Brown when he married the Brown's daughter. The home was bought by the City of Salem in 1971. The house is one of the most elegant examples of Queen Anne style architecture in the Willamette Valley and the grounds include over five acres of formal guardens, nature trails, tennis courts, greenhouses, and a carriage house. The house itself is a two-story building with a third-story tower room. The first floor is elevated above street level by a high stone foundation enclosing a basement. A long flight of steps leading to a roofed porch and enclosed by spindled railing and turned-post pillars defines the front entrance of the house. An open balcony is seen on the second level over the front porch and an enclosed porch juts out to the right of the main entrance. A stone wall and wrought iron fence surround the grounds. The gardens were designed in 1929 by landscape architects Elizabeth Lord & Edith Schryver and include a gazebo. They are frequently the scene of weddings. Historic Deepwood is on the National Register of Historic Places. The photo is from the Hugh Stryker Collection.
Salem, Oregon; Port, Dr. Luke A.; Knighton, William C.;12 Street; Bingham, George; Powell, Alice; Brown, Keith; Schryver, Elizabeth Lord & Edith;