Starkey-McCully Building in the 200 block of Commercial St. N. in Salem, Oregon, 1945-55
This is a photograph of part of the west side of Commercial Street N. between Court and Chemeketa streets in downtown Salem, Oregon. It was known as the Starkey-McCully Building, and was at 223-233 Commercial NE. The block was reportedly built in 1867 and is believed to be the oldest building in the area. It is of brick masonry with cast iron decoration from the Oregon Iron Works in Portland. Originally it housed several businesses on the main floor, and a hotel on the second. At the time of the photo it housed the Coast to Coast store, which was only there very briefly, and the Army & Navy clothing store. In later years the second floor windows of the left section were boarded up.
Salem, Oregon; Commercial Street; Army & Navy Store; Coast to Coast Store; Starkey-McCully Building