Douglas County courthouse in Roseburg, Oregon, 1958
This is the Douglas County courthouse in Roseburg, Oregon, as seen on September 23, 1958. On January 24, 1851, the territorial legislature created Umpqua County and named it for the Umpqua River. It is said that the short life of Umpqua county was due to political troubles. On January 7, 1852, the territorial legislature created Douglas County out of the eastern part of Umpqua County. Douglas County was named for Stephen Arnold Douglas (1813-1861), distinguished American politician and Democratic candidate for the presidency in 1860. He was a strong supporter of Oregon in the Congress, and at the time Douglas County was named for him, he was in the United States Senate from Illinois. Douglas County has an area of 5015 square miles (ODOT). Roseburg was named for Aaron Rose who settled at the site of the community on September 23, 1851. Rose was born June 20, 1813, and came to Oregon from Michigan in 1851. During many years his house at Roseburg was a public tavern. He died March 11, 1899. Deer Creek post office was established September 28, 1852, with William T. Perry postmaster. The name of the office was changed to Roseburg on July 16, 1857. In 1854 Roseburg won the county seat by popular vote. Rose gave three acres of land and $1000 for the courthouse.
Roseburg, Oregon; Douglas County; courthouse; Douglas, Stephen Arnold; Rose, Aaron; Perry, William T.
4.2 in. H x 3.5 in. W
Salem Public Library
CREDITS & RESTRICTIONS
Salem Public Library Historic Photograph Collections, Salem Public Library, Salem, Oregon