Hotel on SE corner of Ferry & Commercial Streets, Salem, Oregon, c1900
This hotel on the SE corner of Comercial and Ferry Streets in Salem, Oregon, went by at least three different names in its 100 year history. It opened as the Chemeketa House/Hotel on Dec 26, 1870 and was considered the finest and largest in Oregon at the time. It didn't get any steam heat or window screens until the turn of the century though. Its 28 chimneys over the mansard roof removed smoke from the fireplaces in 125 rooms & 34 suites. The 1890 Sanborn Fire Insurance map even shows a "Drummer's Rm" and a dining room running along Ferry Street for almost half the block It was remodeled in the 1890's and was known briefly as the Willamette, but is listed in city directories as the Marion Hotel by 1911. It burned on November 12, 1971, over 100 years after it was built. The hotel that burned looked markedly different than the one in this picture. The mansard roof was replaced by a quite ordinary looking one, and the entire frontage on the right (Commercial Street) was replaced by large "picture" windows, as well as half the frontage on Ferry. Beyond a second main entrance on that side, the old windows remained.
Willamette Hotel; Chemeketa House; Marion Hotel; Salem, Oregon
3.5 x 5.5 in.
Salem Public Library
Research by Toni Meyering. This photo is from the Ben Maxwell Photo Album, p 14.