This photo is of the Holman Bldg at the NW corner of S. Commercial & Ferry sts in Salem, Oregon. From 1857 to 1876 the Oregon Senate met on the top floor and the House met on the 2nd floor. It was named after Joseph Holman who came to Fort Vancouver in 1840. Among other accomplishments, he was at Champoeg in 1843, was one of the original trustees at Willamette University, was one of the first flax-seed growers and breeders of pure-bred sheep and was a Salem businessman 1849-54. One of his children was the first white child born in Marion County. It is thought that this building was planned to be a hotel but Mr. Holman changed his plans when the earlier capitol burned & it was completed as a legislative hall. Most of Oregon's basic laws were passed in this structure. In 1876 a new capitol was completed. In the 1940's several businesses were at this location, e.g. Valley Welding Supply Company.
Holman Bldg; Salem, Oregon;
6-1/4 x 4-3/4 in.
Salem Public Library
Research by Toni Meyering. This photo is from the Ben Maxwell Photo Album, p 7.