Crane, Oregon, Railroad Depot in Harney County, Oregon, 1963
This is the railroad depot at Crane in Harney County, Oregon as seen on June 11, 1963. The community Crane was named because of its situation near Crane Creek and Crane Creek Gap, prominent geographic features in the Harney Valley. Crane post office was first established on June 10, 1895, with Henry C. Turner first postmaster. The post office was discontinued June 30, 1903, but was reestablished October 11, 1916, when the railroad was completed from Ontario. From then until 1924, when the railroad was finished to Burn, Crane was an important shipping point for livestock.
1963, June 11
Crane, Oregon; train station; railroad; railroad depot; Turner, Henry C.