Abandoned store in Sparta, Baker County, Oregon, 1963
Abandoned store in Sparta in Baker County, Oregon in May of 1963. Twenty miles Northeast of Baker City, the town was named by spinning a four-sided wooden top with a suggested town name on each end. Winning the spin, was William H. Packwood, a prominent pioneer from Sparta, Illinois. This town also served as a stage stop between the Eagle Valley and Baker City. Gold was discovered at Sparta in 1863.