Construction of Detroit Dam on the North Santiam River in Marion County, Oregon, 1950
This photo is of another stage in the construction of Detroit Dam on the North Santiam River 47 miles east of Salem, Oregon. In the summer of 1952 when the U.S. Corps of Engineers finished Detroit Dam, a 463 foot high concrete gravity structure, the original townsite of Detroit was inundated. The community was relocated about half a mile northwest of the original site. Detroit Lake, the reservoir created by the dam is a popular recreation area. The dam impounds 340,000 acre feet of water and has an installed generating capacity of 100,000 KW.
Marion County, Oregon; Detroit Dam; North Santiam river; dam construction
3.7 in. W x 4.7 in. H
Salem Public Library
CREDITS & RESTRICTIONS
Salem Public Library Historic Photograph Collections, Salem Public Library, Salem, Oregon