Main staircase in Deepwood, at 1116 Mission Street SE in Salem, Marion County, Oregon, photographed in 1956. The carpet and wallpaper in this photo were installed by the Brown family in the 1920s. The golden oak and Povey Brothers stained glass windows are original. Deepwood House and its carriage house were built in 1893-94 in the Yew Park Addition on the SW corner of Mission and 12th Streets, on a slope near the east bank of Pringle Creek. Dr. Luke A. Port, a pharmacist and speculator, engaged young architect W.C. Knighton to design a home "with all the modern conveniences" including all electric light fixtures. Launched by this debut solo commission, described by the Oregon Statesman newspaper as "...perhaps Salem's most elegant residence...,” Knighton's distinguished career included landmarks such as the Oregon Supreme Court Building (1914), The Governor Hotel (1909) and (North) Salem High School (1937), his final design. In 1895 attorney (later judge) George Bingham and his wife Willie bought the property from Dr. Port. Following the Bingham's deaths in 1924, their daughter, Alice Bingham Powell, sold her childhood home to hop and wool broker Clifford Brown and his wife (also named Alice). The Browns and their two young sons moved in after making some modifications to the house, but Clifford died two years later. In 1929 Alice Brown commissioned the new firm of Lord-Schryver, the first female owned landscape architecture firm in the Northwest, to begin design of what became the Deepwood Gardens. From this multi-year project, Elisabeth Lord and Edith Schryver went on to design over 250 gardens in the region, continuing to advise their friend Alice on her gardens throughout their lives. In 1935 Alice Brown named the estate "Deepwood" after a favorite children's book of her sons. The Deepwood Scroll Garden earned the nickname the “Lower Wedding Garden” following her marriage there to Keith Powell (Alice Bingham Powell’s widower) in 1945. The couple lived at Deepwood another quarter century, moving to a smaller, one-storey home in 1968. Following a challenging community campaign to save the property from demolition, Deepwood became a City of Salem owned park and museum in 1972.
Deepwood; Dr. Luke A. Port House; W. C. Knighton; Judge George G. Bingham; Willie Bingham; Alice Bingham Powell; Keith Powell; Clifford Brown; Alice Brown Powell; Deepwood windows; Povey Brothers glass; stained glass; staircase; golden oak; Mission Street; Yew Park; Bush's Pasture Park
3.7 in. W x 4.8 in. H
Salem Public Library
CREDITS & RESTRICTIONS
Salem Public Library Historic Photograph Collections, Salem Public Library, Salem, Oregon.
For further information, see "Keith Powell Home Retains Flavor of Victorian Ties" in Capital Journal, October 4, 1956.