1904 plaque on at Oregon College of Education in Monmouth, Oregon, in Polk County, 1962
This plaque dating to 1904 was embedded 14 inches beneath the bark of a maple tree at the Oregon College of Education in Monmouth in Polk County on December 10, 1962. The significance of 1904 is not known. The tree was damaged and felled as a result of the Columbus Day storm of 1962. Monmouth was settled in the early 1850s by several families from the Disciples of Christ Christian Church in Monmouth, Illinois. The settlers donated 640 acres of land to establish a Christian Church town and college, the town plat was recorded in 1856 and the City of Monmouth celebrated its centennial in 1956. The College was founded as Monmouth University in 1856, evolving from a small Christian school to a state college focused on training educators until it became a Western Oregon University in 1997.
1962, December 10
Monmouth, Oregon; Polk County; Oregon College of Education; Oregon Normal School; plaque; Columbus Day storm; Monmouth University; Western Oregon University; Disciples of Christ