According to the 1890 Sanborn maps the Salem Water Company was located along the millrace from Commercial Street eastward to Liberty. The two circular buidings with their pumps were set 30 feet below the surface. A rectangular workshop was at the eastern end with a large pond east of that. Several smoke stacks were also a part of the complex. Northward of the water works (and on the SE corner of Trade Street) were a paint shop, two Chinese establishments and an abandoned brewery. The street is unpaved with trolley or railroad tracks. Electric power line can be seen entering building with other power lines in background.
Salem, Oregon; Salem Water Co.; Commercial St.; pumping plant; water works
2.5 in. H x 3.9 in. W
Salem Public Library
CREDITS & RESTRICTIONS
Salem Public Library Historic Photograph Collections, Salem Public Library, Salem, Oregon
This photo is also in the Ben Maxwell Photo Album, p 12. Research by Toni Meyering.