Condron house on Pedee Creek Road in Polk County, Oregon, 1959
According to the newspaper article which accompanied this picture, the house once was part of Fort Hoskinms, a Civil War Indian post in the Coast Range of western Oregon. The house was being sought for preservation as a museum by the Polk County Historical Society and wanted it moved from its site on Pedee Creek. The people on the porch were identified as Colene Condron, Mrs. O.L. Guyer and Mrs. William Condron. The house was reportedly built at the Fort Hoskins during the tour of duty of Lt. Philip Sheridan of Civil War fame from July 1856 to May 1857 and was located near the main parade ground and probably served as headquarters or officers' quarters for the post. The house was sold and moved to the Pedee Road location where Marcus Gilliam had a claim after the post was evacuated. William Condron acquired the old house and farm about 1929 from the Gilliam family.
Polk County, Oregon; Condron house; Gilliam (Cornellius) house; home; Fort Hoskins
3.9 in. H x 4.9 in. W
Salem Public Library
CREDITS & RESTRICTIONS
Salem Public Library Historic Photograph Collections, Salem Public Library, Salem, Oregon
Research by Toni Meyering. For further information see article in (Salem, OR) Capital Journal of May 1, 1959 entitled "Group Seeks Hoskins House".