The Odd Fellows Hall was built in 1900 on the SW corner of Court & High Streets in Salem, Marion County, Oregon. Its Grand Opera House, later known as the Grand Theater, soon replaced the nearby Reed Opera House as Salem's venue for cultural activities. John Philip Sousa opened the theater on November 29, 1900; entertainment ranging from minstrel shows to opera were performed there. Silent movies came in the 1920's, and after talking moving pictures arrived, there were stage shows in the afternoon and movies in the evening. Television tooks its toll in later years and the Grand closed in the late 1950's. In the years since then it has had numerous uses, and the downstairs space has been used for various stores and a bus depot. The Odd Fellows Hall was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1988.
Salem, Oregon; Marion County; Odd Fellows Hall; Grand Theater; High Street; National Register of Historic Places